Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review of Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Published by: Dutton
Pages: 338
Source: Won from Books with Bite
Format: Hardcover
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Stephanie Perkins is an amazing Young Adult contemporary author.  If she isn't on your must read list, you should add her now.  She has a way of creating these amazing characters.  They are not warriors, or fighting for their lives.  They are everyday people living typical lives, but somehow Stephanie adds this magical spark to each of her characters that makes them lovable and completely endearing to the reader.

Lola is no exception.  I'd love to have Lola's individuality and confidence to be who she is.  She wears wigs and loud, sparkly clothes everyday.  This is not to hide who she is, it's to show the world her creativity.  I think Lola is amazing.  I would never have the confidence to be her and sadly in high school I probably would have thought she was crazy (while being secretly jealous of her), but I admire her.  There are not many people who can be completely themselves in every situation and just let the world know they are not changing for anyone.

Cricket is that cute geeky boy, that doesn't realize how special he is.  He's always seen as the smart one, but often overlooked by people.  I instantly fell for Cricket, I mean who wouldn't.  He's not only a genius, but he's genuinely a great guy.

For me the story flowed really well.  I actually read this book in one sitting because I was so engrossed with it.  I loved the complex relationship between Lola and her mother.  It added a deeper feel to the story that I wasn't expecting. 

Don't miss out on this wonderful novel; trust me when I say you'll fall in love with it. 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet or the Anna book, but I've heard a lot about the guys in the books, so, naturally, I'm already in love with them.

    I have met Stephanie Perkins and she is amazing! Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one SO much! Cricket is adorable, I just loved reading about his and Lola's relationship. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! :D Wasn't this book just so much the awesome?! I think Stephanie Perkins is a brilliant writer! I'm definitely looking forward to the third book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lola is our main character. I really loved Lola. She¿s funny, spunky and quite a snazzy dresser. She is like no other character I have ever read about. Lola is not perfect; she makes mistakes and bad decisions, just like everyone else. I definitely loved her more and more throughout the book, as we find out more about her.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.