Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Night Date Night

Friday Night Date Night is a feature on my blog that showcases movie review (mostly movies that were adapted from books).  Hopefully some of these reviews will help you decide what to watch on your date night or a night of chillin with the girls.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Every 30 seconds someone starts reading a Harry Potter book.  How flippin amazing is that?!?!  J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series has changed lives.  Everyone has their own unique story about their Harry Potter experience, whether it started their love affair with reading or just turned them onto a new genre.  When I was perusing the library I noticed a movie called Magic Beyond Words: The J.K. Rowling Story. Being the huge Harry Potter buff that I am I just had to check it out.
 
This movie tracks J.K. Rowling's life, specifically following her writing career of the first Harry Potter novel.  We experience a peek into the emotionally and sometimes trying times of J.K.'s (Joanne) life.  She always wanted to be a writer from a young age but was often discourage from it and told to obtain a more practical degree.  The story follows the loss of her mother, her first marriage and divorce and being a single mother on welfare all the while trying to write a book.  It later follows how Joanne obtained an agent who made her change her name.  It so happened that Joanne wasn't given a middle name so she decided to add on her grandmother's name, Kathleen, making her the infamous J.K. Rowling. The movie closes with the sale of her first book and the opening night of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.   
Poppy Montgomery does a fantastic job at playing the adult Joanne.  I felt like I was really watching Joanne's struggles and I felt so bad for her.  I was also amazed at how down to earth she seemed.  Hopefully someday I'll get to meet J.K. Rowling to see if that part is true or not. 
 
Overall, I really enjoyed this movie.  It was cute, light and just plain wonderful.   
 
Want to learn more?
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read HP, but I did watch all the movies. I really am looking forward to reading the books. I really want too when I'm back. This movie sounds really nice. Not sure if it's for me, but I def. would watch it when it's on tv. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge HP fan and have read and reread all of the books countless times. I just can't get enough of them. I do like the movies, too- but the books are just so much more. I caught part of the movie you mentioned and loved it. Now I will have to watch the whole thing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually watched that movie!! I love Lifetime! Rowling personal story is just as amazing as her series.

    I think I'm the only person left who hasn't read the whole series yet, but I'm determined to do it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the series and seen the movies and think that it would be fascinating to see the story behind the story so to speak!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa! I know I'm asking rather late, but can I borrow you button for this feature? I'd like to play along. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.