Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review of Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom

Title: Ditched: A Love Story
Author: Robin Mellom
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
Pages: 288
Source: Library
Format: Hardcover
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her. Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom. And then ditched her.

Never let your mom pick out your prom dress.  This is the first think I want to tell Justina.  Somehow I think her whole night would have been a lot simpler if Justina would have followed those prom magazines and not let her mom dress her in head-to-toe blue, with shoes dyed to match and a blue corsage.  Next I want to tell her to bring a tide pen with her.  This poor girl gets into more incidents with food and she's got the stains to prove it.

Justina had the prom night from hell.  She is was super excited to go to prom with Ian her best friend, which she hopes who become more than her best friend by the end of the night.  It seems things are not aligned in her stars though, because it seems if something was supposed to go wrong on prom night it did.  She gets in to scrape after scrape with the finale being ditched on the side of the road without her purse or cell phone.

The story is told from the morning after prom while Justina explains her night to the gas station attendant she stumbled upon while trying to walk home after her disaster of a night.  It is told by the series of stains and how they appeared on Justina's dress along with the gas station food that is consumed during the venting session.  It is a cute and quirky read that was fast and very enjoyable.  Some parts were a little slow, but it was nice that everything tied together in the end. 

5 comments:

  1. I kind of like those re-telling type books and movies because they present you with something and make you wonder how it ended up that way. I think that's why I love Slumdog Millionaire and The Hangover. This one sounds interesting and like a book I could get into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a galley of this one but I keep putting it off! But it does sound like a cute and fun read! Thanks for the review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to read this one - I am happy to hear it was cute and quirky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... probably not for me, but I can't help but feel sorry for Justina. Every girl wants their prom night to be special, and getting ditched isn't fun.

    And I never leave home without my tide pen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun story, and definitely one I would have liked in high school! I remember thinking prom was the biggest deal in the world -- which, of course, it was back then!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.