Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Adult Review of Sleeping Tigers by Holly Robinson

Title: Sleeping Tigers
Author: Holly Robinson
Published by: CreateSpace
Pages: 258
Source: Author
Format: Paperback
Rating:★★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Jordan O'Malley has everything she ever wanted: a job she loves, a beautiful home, and a dependable boyfriend. When her life unravels after a breast cancer scare, Jordan decides to join her wildest childhood friend in San Francisco and track down her drifter brother, Cam, who harbors secrets of his own.

When Cam suddenly flees the country, Jordan follows, determined to bring him home. Her journey takes her to the farthest reaches of majestic Nepal, where she encounters tests—and truths—about love and family that she never could have imagined.

This was the perfect vacation read.  Jordan is a little lost in life.  She had a major medical scare and now wants to make sure her life means something.  Jordan is a very likable character.  She's down-to-earth and very easy to relate to.  She's responsible and even though she wants to get away from it all and live a little carefree, she still is grounded in reality and willing to except what comes her way.

My favorite thing about this novel is that I felt like I was soul searching right along with Jordan.  Everything in this novel could happen to any of us at any time and that made it real for me.  Also I had just recently visited San Francisco so a lot of the settings were still vivid pictures in my mind. The scenes set in Nepal were descriptively breathtaking and made me a bit envious of Jordan's journey.   

Another aspect of this novel that I really loved was the strong connection of family.  Even though both Jordan and Cam are grown, they come to realize how much they still need each other in their life.  It's too bad that it took some extreme circumstances for both of them to realise that, but sometimes people need a big "push" to make things happen.  It also gave hope that people can change over time.  This is something that I think we all hold on to, so it was nice to have it "proven" in a novel. 

Overall I really enjoyed this novel.  It made me feel happy and content while reading it and I look forward to reading more from this author. 

1 comment:

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.