Monday, March 26, 2012

Review of Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer

Title: Bloodrose (Nightshade #3)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Narrator: Rebecca Lowman
Published by: Random House, Inc.
Length: 9 sound discs (ca. 11 1/2 hr.)
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Calla has always welcomed war.

But now that the final battle is upon her, there’s more at stake than fighting. There’s saving Ren, even if it incurs Shay’s wrath. There’s keeping Ansel safe, even if he’s been branded a traitor. There’s proving herself as the pack’s alpha, facing unnamable horrors, and ridding the world of the Keepers’ magic once and for all. And then there’s deciding what to do when the war ends. If Calla makes it out alive, that is.

This is probably one of the hardest reviews I've had to write.  The reason for this is there is so much I'd like to talk about and yet essentially I'd be giving away huge spoilers.  Also for those of you who know me or have read my reviews on Nightshade or Wolfsbane you know how much of a Ren fan I am, so if I say I loved the ending or hated the ending I'd be giving away too much information.  So please bare with my rambling as I try to review Bloodrose without giving too much away. 

For one lets start with the narrator.  I really enjoyed listening to this novel.  Rebecca Lowman did such an amazing job.  This was a very conflicting and stressful time for Calla and Rebecca pegged her voice and emotions perfectly.  She also had a huge list of characters that she needed different accents and vibes for and she did it flawlessly.  There were even times I forgot there was only one narrator as the other characters came across just as well-rounded as Calla.

Speaking of the other characters have I mentioned how much I love the Searchers.  They were so funny added immense depth to the story.  Connor, Adne and Ethan are my favorites.  It is awesome that Andrea Cremer wound them seamlessly into the story and made their parts in the war essential.  I also really like the other pack members.  Nev, Mason, Bryn and Sabine are perfect counters for Calla, Ren and Shay.  They understand when to be serious and also know perfectly how to lightened the mood. 

The story itself was captivating.   Andrea Cremer has a beautiful style that is descriptive without being long-winded.  For me, I need to be emotionally connected to the characters in the story.  There is no way to read this novel and not be connected in some way.  That being said, I still don't like Shay.   There are many twists throughout the story and since it is a war there are many deaths, some good and some bad. 

Overall I did enjoy Bloodrose and am sad to see Calla's story end.

6 comments:

  1. Great Review! I've read Nightshade and Wolfsbane and your review only makes me more excited to read Bloodrose! :D

    ~Keegan Shayne

    Check out my review of SLIDE by Jill Hathaway:
    http://blabbing-books.blogspot.com/2012/03/review-slide-by-jill-hathaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check this out!! I think yours is the first review Ive read...thanks for sharing Lisa..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, To be honest, I've read a few spoilers for this book and I'm not happy. I gave up on this series after book one because I love, love, love Ren and I was disappointed by the way he was treated. And then to find out what happened to him! No way I'm supporting that. But I admire you for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should have read some spoilers. I was so ridiculously mad that I stopped listening to it for a while to calm down.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this one yet but I really should. I really enjoy this series. I'm such a fan of the Searchers, too! They're awesome! Thanks for the review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous review Lisa :) !! I still haven't read Bloodrose though I read the first 2 books in the series and really liked them ! I definitel agree with you, Shay gets on my nerves as well !!
    I actually heard about how the third book ended before reading Wolfsbane and I was very disappointed so that's why I haven't bought a copy of Bloodrose yet .. I don't know if I will or not.. Thanks for the great review anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.