Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review of Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

Title: Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Narrator: Aasne Vigesaa
Published by: Brilliance Corporation
Length: 11 Compact Discs / 13 hours
Source: Library
Format: Audio
Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Young, beautiful, and successful, Elena Michaels seems to have it all. Her happy, organized life follows a predictable pattern: filing stories for her job as a journalist, working out at the gym, living with her architect boyfriend, and lunching with her girlfriends from the office. And once a week, in the dead of night, she streaks through a downtown ravine, naked and furred, tearing at the throats of her animal prey.

Elena Michaels is a werewolf.

The man who made her one has been left behind, but his dark legacy has not. And though Elena struggles to maintain the normal life she's worked so hard to create, she cannot resist the call of the elite pack of werewolves from her past. Her feral instincts will lead her back to them and into a desperate war for survival that will test her own understanding of who, and what, she is.

I must admit that it took my a while to get into this book.  I think part of the reason was Elena.  While I admired her strength and spunk, I wasn't a huge fan of her need to pretend to be someone she's not.  I felt like she was putting on an act for her boyfriend and his family.  She was portraying herself as a person she knew he wanted her to be.  If you can't be yourself in a relationship than I don't think that is a real relationship.  She was so much more fun when she was smart-mouthed and feisty with her pack.   

The pack itself was quite interesting.  I really enjoyed hearing about each member and their relationship to Elena.  I fell for Clay hard, but then after hearing what he did, I held a little grudge.  If I was Elena I don't know if this would be something I could get over.  I don't want to give anything away but it was really interesting pulling pieces of Elena's history out and seeing how I would have reacted or handled the situation differently.  She led a difficult life and that definitely contributed to her choices. 

The plot kind of confused me a little.  I'm guessing this has to do with listening to the audio though.  I liked Aasne Vigesaa and thought she had a beautiful voice, I just think that I messed up the characters a lot because of how many there were.  I was confused on who was who and what each person wanted.  I don't think this would have happened if I read it, but the audio itself was really well done.  For me, there was just too many people and too much going on for me to keep it straight while listening to the story.

I am intrigued by this series now and I can't wait to find out what happens next and who I will meet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.