Thursday, November 14, 2013

Audio Review: What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1) by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan

Title: What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
Authors: Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan
Narrator: Jessie Williams
Published by: Simon and Schuster Audio
Length: 1 hr and 13 mins
Source: Publisher*
Format: Audio
Rating: 5 stars


Summary from Goodreads: There are good reasons Peru is off-limits to Magnus Bane. Follow Magnus’s Peruvian escapades as he drags his fellow warlocks Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss into trouble, learns several instruments (which he plays shockingly), dances (which he does shockingly), and disgraces his host nation by doing something unspeakable to the Nazca Lines.

I have to admit that I never really saw the allure of Magnus Bane in TMI series (admittedly I have only read the first 4 books so far), but it was actually in TID series where I really started to like this guy and care for him.  So when I had the opportunity to review the audio version of What Really Happened in Peru read by Jessie Williams, I jumped at the chance. 

First each of these stories in the series are short but are complete stories, which I absolutely love.  This audio was just over an hour so it made for the perfect little story that I could listen to in one setting.  Jessie Williams is one cute mister and his voice was a pretty good, though not perfect, imitation of what I imaged Magnus to sounds like.  You can hear a sample clip here.  

I'm usually not a huge fan of short stories/novellas since I don't believe they really add much to the plot, but What Really Happened in Peru didn't seem that way for me.  I think it was because it wasn't part of the overall series, instead it was this side story of a colorful and enigmatic character which many people adore.  

As for the story I loved it.  I got to see a different side of Magnus and how crazy he can be.  One of the best parts was that it was so funny.  It was great to see him try to experience life, especially when he decides to learn a new instrument and is unbelievably horrible at it.  The interaction between Magnus, Ragnor and Catarina was nice too.  It was a nice contrast to see him interact with warlocks instead of shadowhunters.  It was just a fun story, slightly crazy and sometimes a bit disjointed, but it made me happy and smile.  That's a winner in my book (did you get the pun...I know I'm a huge nerd).    

Overall, What Really Happened in Peru, was entertaining and so likable.  It was the perfect little story to devour in one sitting.  

*I did receive this audio for review, but I was not compensated for this post in anyway and all opinions are my own.

2 comments:

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.