Thursday, November 7, 2013

Audio Review: What the Spell? (Life's a Witch, #1) by Brittany Geragotelis

Title: What the Spell? (Life's a Witch, #1)
Author: Brittany Geragotelis
Narrator: Joy Osmanski
Published by: Simon and Schuster Audio
Length: 9hrs and 41 mins
Source: Simon Schuster Audio
Format: Audio
Rating: 2 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Almost-sixteen-year-old Brooklyn feels invisible, but she desperately wants to be pretty, to be popular, to be adored by a cute guy. Luckily for her, she’s a witch about to come of age—so she’s only a few spells away from making it all happen.

On her milestone birthday, Brooklyn’s conservative parents finally unbind her powers, which include the ability to magically match couples with a love spell. Brooklyn uses her special skills to get a makeover, new friends, and the attention of her crush, Asher. But the popular clique Brooklyn wants to infiltrate puts her in the same precarious position as her Salem ancestors: If she’s found out, she could be vilified—and lose Asher in the process. Can she make the most of her magic, or will she be luckless and loveless? Be careful what you witch for!

What the Spell? is a novel about one girl's quest for popularity with a twist of magic on the side.

I have always had a thing for witches ever since I first learned about the Salem Witch trials.  Everything about them fascinates me and when I can incorporate two things I love, witches and reading, I get really hopeful and excited.  

However, as much as I was looking forward to reading/listening to What the Spell? it fell short for me.  The main character Brooklyn left much to be desired of your main character.  She was a social climber and all she wanted from life was to be popular, mostly at the expense of others.  As soon as she came into her magic, she instantly gave herself a magical makeover.  This makeover wasn't a new hairstyle or a bit of makeup, instead she changed physical features (like her height) about herself to the point people in her school didn't recognizer her anymore.  Then her parents were all like "well just remember the Salem Witch trials."  What?  They bind her powers for sixteen years then just let her go way out of hand with this makeover and only issue a slight warning.  This just didn't make sense to me.

Then there is The Elite.  This is the popular group that Brooklyn strives to be part of because she believes that once she is one she can change the way they act towards others while still being popular.  This group seemed a little atypical to me.  Sure there are always rich and popular kids, but this group seemed to rule it all without any consequences.  They even had a raised table in the lunch room to set them apart.  At what public school is all that normal?  It just seemed like too much of an exaggeration for me.


One of the redeeming qualities of this book was Asher and his little sister.  I really enjoyed both of these characters as I thought they were the most believable and true to who they were.  I loved the interactions of these characters with Brooklyn and wish she would have seen how amazing they both really were compared to The Elite.  


As for the story is was cute at times and it kept my attention enough to finish listening, but I never really became a fan of Brooklyn until the very end.  It didn't have anything to do with Joy Osmanski narrating though.  I've listened to a couple other audios with her and I've enjoyed them all.  She has a great voice.  

What the Spell? was ok but there was a little too much drama and not enough magic for me.  Will I read/listen to the next one...probably but not because of Brooklyn.  I want to know more about that crazy ending with Asher.  Yikes!      



1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that Brooklyn wasn't all you wanted from the main character

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.