Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep

Title: Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)
Author: Jennifer Estep
Published by: Kensington Books
Pages: 385
Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Rating: 3.5 stars


Summary from Goodreads: My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

I have always enjoyed stories with any sort of mythology involved so I was instantly intrigued by the Mythos Academy series.  I mean what could be better than Greek gods, Gypsies, Spartans  Amazons, and Native American deities all rolled into one series?

Gwen is my type of main character.  She's not popular or every guys dream.  Heck she wears hoodies everyday and reads comic books.  In fact she's kind of a nerd, but is still outspoken and quite snarky.  She is not this totally fierce, kick-butt character either...actually when it comes to fighting she is kind of horrible at it.  However, what she lacks in skills she makes up for in heart.  Even when something horrible happens to the Academy's notorious mean-girl, she is still determined to find her justice, not matter how cruel she was.    


Touch of Frost was a unique story and while there were elements of familiarity, the plot twist kept the story completely original.  I was actually surprised how fast I read this novel, because every time I tried to set it down I just wanted to know more.  All the situations Gwen finds herself in and each conflict will hook you more until you can wait to see what will happen next and to whom.  


One thing that bothered me about Touch of Frost was the rich kid aspect.  I feel this is a common theme in many YA novels and some of the students (ok most of them) who attend Mythos Academy were ridiculously rich.  Am I the only one tired of reading about what daddy's money can buy?  This led to some characters who were stuck up, snotty, and self-entitled.  Understandable that this story need these types of characters, but they got on my nerves fast and didn't really change (well except a couple) by the end of the novel.  


Even with the money thing and so not so likable characters I really enjoyed Touch of Frost.  I can't wait to see what Jennifer Estep and the rest of the series has in store.  

         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.